Ligament Injury: India’s star cricketer Rishabh Pant is being taken to Mumbai from a hospital in Dehradun, where he will be treated for ligament tears in his knee and ankle. Rishabh Pant, 25, narrowly escaped a horrific car accident when he was on his way to his hometown Roorkee from Delhi, but lost control and crashed into the divider on the NH-58 highway.
In the accident, Rishabh suffered a head injury, multiple lacerations on his back and ligament tears in his knees and ankles, not fractures. Let us know what is ligament injury after all.
Ligament Injury: What is ligament injury?
Ligament injury or ligament tear is a type of injury. A ligament is a tough band of fibrous tissue that connects two bones. It also connects bones with cartilage. Although ligaments are very strong, but due to strong shock or pressure, they can get hurt, which is also called tear. Players often have to face this type of injury. Ligament injuries usually occur in the ankle, knee, thumb, neck or back. Let us know the types of ligament injury, its symptoms and how to treat it.
Ligament Injury: What are the types of ligament injury?
Ligament injury is diagnosed with X-ray or MRI. It can be of three types:
- Grade 1: The sprain is mild and the ligament is not damaged much.
- Second grade: In this type of injury, the ligament tear is partial.
- Third grade: This is a serious type of injury. In which the ligament is completely torn and there is a lot of pain.
Ligament Injury: What are the symptoms of ligament tear?
- When there is a ligament tear, there is a lot of pain on touching the injured area.
- Muscle cramps may be felt.
- Wherever the injury has occurred, there may also be swelling.
- There is a lot of difficulty in walking or moving that part.
- The ligament serves to support and strengthen the joint, so an injury to it can cause severe pain even when the joint is flexed.
Ligament Injury: What is the treatment for ligament tear?
The treatment of this type of injury depends on the age, severity of the sprain, and the health of the individual. If the injury is not severe, the person is advised to rest, cold compress and keep the leg elevated. Because the pain in a ligament tear is severe, your doctor may give you painkillers. If the injury is on the knee, wearing a brace may be recommended. To reduce swelling, applying ice is beneficial. Surgery can also be done in severe cases.
Disclaimer: The advice and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purpose only and should not be taken as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor if you have any questions or concerns.
Follow Hindumetro on Google News